I definitely believe (in my own humble opinion) that:
- As a society, we suck at talking about suicide
- Just as society sometimes has “ideals” as to how women should look and act, and these are rightly being challenged, there’s also preconceptions as to how “real men” should look and act; these aren’t challenged as much.
- Men can feel similar body-image issues to men, albeit in a different way. (i.e. not muscular enough, not “big” enough).
- Men can feel obligated not to talk about their issues, they should just “tough it out”.
- Suicidal thoughts is often seen as just a call for help – sometimes it can be, sometimes though people are silent about their thoughts and very serious about following it through.
This isn’t a pro-man thing or a gender thing, just a simple humanity thing. We’ve all got to look after each other on this small rock, this life is precious, and we need to look out for each other.
Every suicide is a tragedy. Whatever we can do to prevent suicide and help those beginning to develop suicidal thoughts or self-harming thoughts need all the support and understanding we can offer.
People you can talk to (whether you’re having suicidal thoughts or worried about someone else who might be):
- Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90 / email@example.com
- Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is an excellent resource for young men who are feeling unhappy. 0800 58 58 58.
- PAPYRUS is a voluntary organisation that supports teenagers and young adults who are feeling suicidal. 0800 068 41 41
- Childline runs a helpline for children and young people in the UK. Calls are free and the number will not show up on your phone bill. 0800 1111.
- National Self-harm Network: 0800 622 6000 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nightline: Nightlines provide emotional support to students in distress, and phones are manned throughout the night during term time when other specialist university welfare services are closed. Operating at over 90 universities and colleges, find your local Nightline at http://www.nightline.ac.uk/find-my-nightline
Reblog, add extra numbers and links, let’s support each other, even friends we have no idea that need this help.
With love & support to you all 🙂